Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An 18 Game Season?

Right now, I'm currently pregnant with a food baby. I've never been to The Melting Pot before, but let me tell you....wow! I honestly don't think I've ever been this full in my life. Despite being this full, I knew I had to lay down some bloggin' tonight.

I think Packers expert from KFAN, Dave Sinykan said it best, 'Whoever had 2nd quarter of Week 1 of the Justin Harrell gets knocked out for the season pool, wins'. Obviously, I'm just delaying the inevitable by mentioning Justin Harrell but the big Packer news is that starting running back Ryan Grant will be out for the rest of the season after suffering a severe ankle injury. He will require surgery to repair damaged ligaments in his ankle/lower leg and will be on crutches for 10-12 weeks. Grant has been a starter since Week 9 of the 2007 season where the Packers lost to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship game. He has not missed a game in his Packer career.

This is a significant blow to a team that many projected to go to the Super Bowl, and to be honest, its an injury to my favorite Green Bay Packer. You just hate to see anyone of that caliber to go down. As much as I hate the Minnesota Vikings, I don't wish season ending injuries upon anyone.

So, in a span of one day Kris Jenkins, Ryan Grant and (more than likely) Bob Sanders have been lost for the season, which brings me to the title of this blog: The NFL CANNOT BE SERIOUS into thinking that this game should have two additional games added to the regular season schedule. Look at the two other guys I mentioned. Kris Jenkins, tore his ACL in the same knee and was out for the year last season, and tore the ACL in his other knee in 2005. Bob Sanders has played in 47 games, but has missed 48 games due to injury. Players are constantly being rested in Weeks 15, 16 and 17. A huge example of that last year is Wes Welker with the New England Patriots, tore his ACL on the final game of last season.

Injuries are expected with this sport, I think we all understand that. No other sport has a regular 'Weekly Injury Report' like the NFL does, that should be enough to say that these guys are at constant risk of being hurt, and they want to increase that risk by adding more games? I think its ridiculous.

Obviously this is the upset Packer fan in me venting over the fact that we just lost our Pro Bowl running back. I do think Brandon Jackson will do a great job replacing him. He was drafted to be the future, he was there before Grant was signed and he has shown his skills on several runs over the last couple of years. We'll be finding out if B-Jack has what it takes!

Other NFL news...what a pathetic effort by the Dallas Cowboys against the Redskins. Baltimore and the New York Jets have fantastic defenses, but both offenses are a question mark and how about those Kansas City Chiefs? They have a fantastic array of coaches a good young QB and RB, and that defense was fantastic vs. San Diego.

The Minnesota Twins beat up on the Chicago White Sox tonight...increasing their division lead to 7 games and lowering the magic number to 12. I'm going to say the Twins will win this division, if they took one from the Sox its all but over. Good luck to them the rest of the way!

Check out an all new Jakey and The Ace Show tomorrow night at 9pm/CT. C-Mac Co-Hosts with me and we'll talk more about the Ryan Grant injury. Dave Sinykan might join us...check us out at www.blogtalkradio.com/jakeyandtheace or our dial in number is 917-388-4635.

Have a great night!

-Ace


No comments:

Post a Comment