Monday, October 12, 2009

NFL Week 5 and The MLB Playoffs!

October. Is there really any better month in sports?

Well, obviously March Madness is a close second, but you're getting the NFL in full swing, October Baseball, the NHL has kicked off and the NBA is right around the corner as well.

We can forget about the 'Chase for the Cup' and is that golf playoff thing done, or I don't even think Tiger knows how it works.

October is my favorite month, not only because of those reasons but, it's my birthday month, and I turn it into a celebration that is a week long. I've been battling a terrible cold/fever for 2 days and hopefully I've shook it off and can enjoy the rest of my awesome week.

This blog will be used to talk a lot of Minnesota sports (I like) and some I don't (Vikings), and just share my opinions on a lot of other sports related topics.

Let's cover what I like right now

1) MLB Playoffs: I love October baseball. Nothing can match some of the epic contests I've witnessed. I was at the Twins/Tigers play in game a week ago, and I've never seen a better baseball game. Simply fantastic. I know the Yankees swept the hometown boys, but they gave it a great run when going up against the Goliath $$ from New York. Each game had some sort of base running error that could have led to runs by our guys, or the fair ball that was actually foul. Whatever it is, our boys need to put on some shades if the big bright scary lights of Yankee Stadium turn them into a deer caught in the headlights. If you expect to compete in the playoffs, chances are you'll draw the Yankees, love 'em or hate 'em, they'll always be in contention to make the playoffs, unless their roster was full of $20 Million Nick Punto's. On to Punto...Yes, he makes some good defensive plays and doesn't commit too many errors. He has played great the whole month of September and really helped out the Twins, but...come on Bill Smith, there's someone out there that can hit the ball better and help this franchise out a lot more than Nick Punto. This guy flirted with batting .199 most of the season...that's 100 points higher than One Handed Pitcher, yes, One Handed Pitcher, Jim Abbott's career average. I'll stop at that and leave the Twins ranting to a minimum until next season or until Punto is signed to a 4 year, $60 Million extension this offseason. I am looking forward to Target Field!

Who I like in the A/NLCS:
Angels over Yankees in 7
Dodgers over Phillies in 6

I'm really pulling for Torii Hunter, just a complete class act all the way.

2) NFL Season: There's been some great games like the Packer/Viking game last Monday night and some surprising starts like the Broncos 5-0, Bengals 4-1 and Titans 0-5. We've only just passed the quarter point of the season and I'm still not completely sold on two division leaders. Those being San Fransisco and Minnesota. Here's my reasoning:

San Fransisco: First of all their upcoming schedule will really prove if they are for real or not. The next 5 games will test them at Houston, Indianapolis and Green Bay and home against Tennessee and Chicago. Along with divisional games vs. Seattle and Arizona they also travel to Philadelphia. I was on the fence with them before their 45-10 loss at home to Atlanta, but if you want to contend you have to win big games at home. Not get blown out. Yes, they beat St. Louis 35-0 which ties into my next team.

Minnesota: 3 of their 5 opponents they've played have a combined record of 2-13, the other two, San Fran and Green Bay are 5-3. The next three weeks will prove if the Minnesota Vikings are for real when they face Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Green Bay. Personally, I think November 2nd, there will be a 3 way tie atop the NFC North at 5-3. I love the Minnesota defensive line, their backs/linebackers give me worries, Aaron Rodgers put up career best passing yardage against them and Shaun Hill had a good game as well.

Team I am sold on:

Indianapolis: Two Words, Peyton Manning. That is all.

We should be in for a fun ride in both conferences I can't wait to see how the next few weeks go.

3) NBA/NHL: Alright, I'm not really that excited for both these sports to start on up this month, but if I had to pick, I'm excited to see how the Wild handle their new changes this season, more on the NHL in January when I have to shovel, or put off shoveling. The NBA...well..I'm not a huge fan, but I am interested to see how a Kurt Rambis team is ran. I don't recognize most of the roster but I am interested to see how they do.

Well...just finished watching a great Jets/Dolphins match up with a LOT of Wildcat formations. I give it 2 or 3 years until this fad has completely died out. The Wildcat is like a guy who hasn't sex in a long time and finds a 3 or a 4 at a bar that's been into him for a while, so, he takes her home and has his way with her. It's fun the first time, but once you've stuck your back through the hole and surprise the defense, eventually...well...you have to go back to that bar, and she'll probably be there and you probably won't want to do it again, trust me.

Oh, so I'm always asked, 'How can you be a Twins fan and a Packers fan?' Here's the story:
Back in 1993-94 when I was 7-8 years old, I'd always end up watching football around 3-4pm. Since Dallas was a hot draw for FOX, being the Super Bowl Champs with Aikman, Smith and Irvin, they were usually on around that time. I would have basketball on Sunday's so I never watched the noon games. The playoffs came around in 93 and Dallas beat Green Bay 27-17, I pulled for GB. I remember on Thanksgiving the following season, the Packers played Dallas, it was a high scoring game, but GB lost. Right there is when I started pulling for them, I wanted to see the Packers beat Dallas. The Packers played the Cowboys again in the playoffs in the 94-95 season and got blown out. So, I was a full fledged Packer fan at that point. The 95-96 season came around and of course, Dallas beat Green Bay in the regular season, that was one of their 3 losses, but the playoffs came around and Green Bay didn't run into Dallas and won Super Bowl 31. :)

How'd I become a Twins fan? Duh, when I had my baby pictures taken I was wearing a Twins shirt and hat while holding a baseball.

How different would my life be if I was put in a purple shirt and given a football.....probably more heartbreak!

Have a good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment