Saturday, October 17, 2009

This Weekend in Football featuring a Rant!

I wonder how much Sam Bradford regrets not going pro after last season? This kid got rocked in the 1st quarter vs. Texas. If it is the same injury, I would keep him out until its fully healed, their backup did just fine only losing by 3 to the #3 team in the nation.

Here's something that bothers me right now. I'm watching #14 Penn State vs. Minnesota on ABC (Cheap Plug) and Matt Millen is the color man in the booth. How the hell does this guy have ANY credibility? Yeah, he played for Penn State and he played pro ball, but his best days were as a broadcaster for FOX before he set a franchise back about 10 years. I have more credibility than him. I think back to an episode of The Simpsons where Homer pulls out a card in his pocket that says "Do Opposite of what the boy says," and Bart says "Don't give that card to me," Homer quickly realizes not to give the card to him. What I'm getting at is there should be a Matt Millen card that viewers can use during a Matt Millen game, kinda like the SAP feature. Turn the MM Card and it will give you all the right information during the game.

So what's going on this weekend? Well, I'm flipping back and forth between USC/ND and MINN/PSU. This Gopher defense is putrid, they can stop plays on 1st and 2nd down but come 3rd down its like they all lay flat on their faces. They just need to get their offense going, being down 6-0 with a buck left to play in the 1st half is a lot better than I expected.

Where were the Angels bats last night? Man, CC is looking great in the postseason. I think they'd match up better with the Phillies, but I'd love to see Manny take out the Bronx Bombers.

If I could suggest an improvement for the Madden Video Game franchise for next year...PLEASE let there be downloadable content where you can change the broadcasters. I cannot stand listening to Tom Hammond and Cris Collinsworth. Since its an NFL game, they obviously should keep the main team Hammond(or Al Michaels) and Collinsworth, but they should give you the option to download the MNF team, the CBS and FOX #1 Broadcast team. I would much rather listen to Nantz and Simms or Aikman and Buck call games instead of those two hacks. That is all.

Tomorrow is my birthday! I don't know if there's too much planned. I figure to meet up with some of my good pals at our favorite bar to watch the Packers and Vikings play (easy, easy, different opponents) I will probably sport my Aaron Rodgers jersey and I think I'll find my Ravens jersey, just to use if the Pack are really blowing out the Lions. I don't want a huge drunken barhopping evening, but I'm thinking once the sun starts going down, the more I'll probably want to do that.

Hopefully the fantasy teams hold up too. I'm 3-2 in my main league that I run and 2-3 in another league that I'm in. I'm pretty confident with both teams tomorrow.

Now, I think I've covered everything I wanted to talk about...onto my rant.

Yes, by the blog title, and by my story in my last post, yes I am a Packer fan and I live in suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota. I've been a Packer fan since I was 8 years old, I've dealt with people saying 'Packers suck' and other stupid comments. I'm fine with it. The point of my rant are just idiots who try to start something just to get under my, or any other Packerfan's skin. I'm aware that I live in Minnesota, and I'm aware that the Packers are a Wisconsin team. First and foremost, the Packers main rival are THE BEARS, not your purple team. I've been to Packer/Viking games and this year, during week one, I experienced my first Packer/Bear game at Lambeau Field. Its amazing how different the atmosphere is between both the Bears and Vikings games. Bear fans have a respect for the Packers as do the Packers the Bears. I talked to SO MANY Bears fans who say they love coming to Lambeau because the games are so much fun, I was never once told "Packers suck" or some stupid uneducated comment. Fast forward 4 weeks to October 5th, at my favorite bar. Of course, its probably 70% Viking fans, 30% Packer fans, I know what to expect living in Minnesota. I have tons of friends who are Viking fans and we constantly bust each others balls about our respective teams, it's all in good fun, it's sports, there's more to life. Anyway, were at the bar, everyone knows us there, we go there a couple times a week. Bartenders and servers are cool. I'm sitting in a position where i'm facing a booth with a couple in it, above their booth is a flat screen TV and to my right is the bar with 4 TV's in a square above the bar (A lot like a scoreboard above a basketball court). So I'm sitting there with my pal Chaz, his folks, and a family friend with his wife. So, we're enjoying ourselves just watching the game having fun. I feel eyes just staring through me, I look and its the guy in the booth in front of me. I say, "Do ya need anything?" He says. "The Packers f*cking suck." I said, "Okay buddy," and continued to watch the game. He then starts talking to my buddies dad and tries to get us all riled up and ruin our night. Finally, he says something to me about this Viking team being a lot like the '98 Viking team. I said, "The same '98 team that lost in the NFC Title game? Okay, sit down and watch the game." It shut him up for a while. We met up in the bathroom and i'm washing my hands, and he's looking at me with a sh*t-eating grin and I said, "What do you want?" He says, "I'm just looking at your stupid Rodgers jersey, Favre is gonna kick your ass." I said, "Dude, what's your deal? Just enjoy the game, I'm not giving you any sh*t." I go back to my table, he goes back to his, the Vikings pick off Rodgers, I can't remember if he scored or what, but this guy gets up and starts pointing at us and screaming. Whatever, he was an idiot. So, when Clay Matthews stripped AP for a TD I did the same thing to him. It was fun to watch his body language when the Packers were doing well, or the Vikings not doing well, he would be quiet, look sad and pouty and not really look at us, but if it were the opposite situation, he would be staring at us, hoping to get under our skin. I was drunk, he probably was too. Once the Packers lost, we talked to him, shook his hand and said, "We're just having a fun time, we'll see you here November 1st." We thought, okay, he was just putting on a show for his girlfriend and we all just had a good time, as he's leaving and walking out the door he says to us, "We'll still kick your f*cking ass in a month, fudgePackers."

This is what I'm getting at. It's a FU*KING FOOTBALL GAME! We lost, we accepted it. You won, congratulations! The Vikings played an excellent game, the Packers made it interesting at the end, but in the end, Brett Favre was NOT losing that game.

I love when people give me sh*t, its all in good fun, but when you do give me sh*t, please back it up with something other than "Packers Suck" or "Rodgers is a Pu**y." Why do we suck? Is it because our offensive line plays like a Brooklyn Center HS O-Line? Is it because our running game is about as powerful as a pack of butterflies? Most of my Viking fan friends, know what their talking about, most of the Viking fans that give me sh*t on Twitter or Facebook, know what their talking about.

I brought this up because my friend Chaz was out to the bars last night and was wearing a Packers jacket. Some girl said to him..."blah blah blah...Packers Suck!" His response was, "Okay, well, once you win a Super Bowl to contend with our 3, then we'll talk." She said, "I don't live in the past." He, being his witty self said, "Oh, so I guess the Steelers aren't the defending Super Bowl champs, and I guess the Vikings are 0-0 and didn't beat the Packers." She said, "We kicked the Packers ass this year." Then he walked away, proving her ignorance. I live in Minnesota and I am a Packer fan, but living in Minnesota means I see all the Viking coverage and games, so I know a lot about 'Your favorite purple team,' too. :)

All I'm getting at is, in ANY SPORT with ANY RIVALRY or ANY MATCHUP. If you're going to dish it out, make sure you can back it up, or you'll make yourself look like an idiot., because if anyone knows me well, they know I cannot stand stupid people.

I'll give my NFC North Predicitons now, which I will do for the remainder of the season
The Vikings should improve to 6-0, unless a different Ravens team shows up this week. The Packers will handle the Lions while I wish I had Aaron Rodgers on my fantasy team, and not play against him, the game of the week in the NFC North should be the Sunday Night matchup of Chicago vs. Atlanta. I'd take Chicago if this game were in Soldier Field, but Atlanta is coming off a huge win against San Fran, I like Atlanta.

If my picks are right here are the NFC North Standings come Monday Morning:
Minnesota- 6-0
Green Bay- 3-2
Chicago- 3-2
Detroit- 1-5

Thanks for tuning in! Hopefully everyone has a safe and Happy Sunday!

You can follow me on Twitter @CMnagel or comment on this very blog!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment